Painting your nails at home is a form of relaxation—a simple way to wind down at the end of a long day. It’s also a great way to save some money. Skipping a couple of visits to the nail salon can keep a little extra cash in your pocket. Professional manis can get expensive!
Of course, it’s tough to get the perfect nail polish job on your own. But with a little bit of practice, you’ll be painting like a pro in no time. If you want to stay up-to-date on the latest nail paint trends, check out our tips below.
About Nail Polish
Want to know the best part about painting your nails? The endless possibilities of polish formulas and nail colors to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a simple nude for a friend’s wedding or something festive for the holiday season, you’ll always be able to find what you want—and what you didn’t know you needed. Many nail polish formulas also include helpful vitamins and ingredients to keep your nail beds strong and healthy.
For the at-home nail experts, those just starting out, and everyone in between—we’ve got some helpful nail polish application and nail care tips. Keep reading to learn more.10 Most Popular Nail Paint Ideas for Fall 2021
5 Steps to Apply Nail Polish Like a Pro
Painting your nails is more than just a fun activity. It’s a creative outlet. It’s a way to express yourself through unique nail colors and designs. You can also commemorate the passing seasons and special holidays through your nail style.
If you want to know how to apply nail polish like a pro, take a look at our simple five-step process:
- Layer Your Polish: A general rule of thumb when painting your nails is to apply one base coat, two coats of polish, and finish with one top coat to seal everything off. The base coat makes the polish on top last longer, and the top coat protects your color from chipping after it dries.
- Apply Three Strokes: Another general rule of thumb is to apply three brush strokes for every layer. Start in the middle and work your way out.
- Clean the Edges: After applying the top coat, clean the edges of your nails for a sleek finish. The easiest way to do this is to dip a small, thin makeup brush in some polish remover and touch up the edges.
- Apply Cuticle Oil: Applying a thin layer of cuticle oil on the top coat protects the polish from chipping.
- Dry With Cold Water: If you’re tired of waiting forever for your nails to dry, try dipping them in or rinsing them with cold water. This helps them dry a little faster.
A couple of additional tips:
You know when each layer of polish is dry when it appears to be less glossy than when you applied it.
Keep all nail polish in the refrigerator to preserve proper consistency.
Top 10 Fall 2021 Nail Paint Ideas
Nail polish trends change from year to year—and even from season to season. If you want to keep up with the latest fall 2021 nail paint ideas, take a look at our list below:
- Metallics: Throw it back to the early 2000s.
- Pastels: Soft colors that make a bold statement.
- Color combos: Why choose just one polish color?
- Olive: Embrace nature with a mellow green.
- Dusty pink & blush: You’ll feel like a fairytale.
- Black: It’s not a phase!
- White: Keep things simple with a basic white polish.
- Lilac: Purple is for any season.
- Creamy blue: A cool, calm blue goes with anything.
- Ombré: Fade from one color to another to another.
Top Nail Care Tips
The most important aspect of painting your nails is to keep nail care in mind. Our list of nail care tips will help protect and grow your nails.
- Don’t use quick-dry polish because it damages your nails.
- Don’t cut your cuticles. Just push them back with a nail tool.
- File in one direction to prevent nails from breaking or becoming jagged on the ends.
- Use non-acetone nail polish remover to cut through polish while protecting your nails from harsh chemicals. Non-acetone polish remover helps nails grow longer, faster.
- Don’t bite or pick at your nails or cuticles.
Nail Technology Training at Florida Academy
If you want to take your nail painting skills from your living room to a professional salon, enroll in the nail technology training program at Florida Academy.
At Florida Academy, we train students in our on-site, upscale salon because we know that hands-on practice is the best type of job preparation. Our training program equips every student to start a career as a nail technician. Enroll today and complete the nail technician training program in as little as two months.